Q: Are there any differences between the courses in the Booz Allen program and those offered on campus?
A: No. The courses are the same and are taught by the same group of faculty. Your diploma or certificate will not make the distinction. If you choose to go for your doctorate at GW, you can use the M.S. degree earned in the GW-Booz Allen program as a part of the admission requirement.

Q: Can I take courses outside the cohort to satisfy the degree requirements?
A: It is possible to take courses from cohorts other than your own. It is also possible to take courses available as open enrollment at the Foggy Bottom or other GW campuses, in which case you will pay the normal full tuition minus a 10% discount available for BAH employees taking graduate courses (https://graduate.admissions.gwu.edu/booz-allen-hamilton-partnership). However, the program was designed so that everyone in the cohort takes all the courses together in sequence. It may not be easy to mix courses from the cohort with non-cohort courses due to pre-requisites and the sequence of courses offered. In all cases, you need to get approval from your academic advisor.

Q: Can I complete just the graduate certificate but not the M.S. degree?
A: Yes. By taking the four security courses offered in the cohort (CSci 6531, 6532, 6541, and 6542), you satisfy the requirements for the graduate certificate in Computer Security and Information Assurance. You need to be enrolled in the graduate certificate program and discuss with your academic advisor.

Q: Can I earn both the M.S. degree in computer science and the graduate certificate in computer security and information assurance?
A: Yes. The M.S. degree is "stacked" with a graduate certificate so that at the completion of the program, the student receives both the M.S. degree in computer science and the graduate certificate in computer security and information assurance.

Q: Can I do an M.S. thesis?
A: Yes. However, you need to find a faculty member willing to be your thesis advisor. In place of two of the courses from the cohort, you will enroll in 6 thesis credits.

Q: What happens if I quit Booz Allen?
A: Because of the agreement between Booz Allen and GW, only Booz Allen employees can attend these cohorts and at the negotiated tuition rate. You can still use the courses you have taken in the program toward an M.S. degree or a graduate certificate by completing the requirements at the Foggy Bottom campus. You may also be able to transfer the courses you have taken to another university if you end up moving somewhere else.

Q: What happens if I miss a semester?
A: If you intend to stay in the cohort, you need to make up the missed course in some way. This can be done by taking a course in another cohort or by taking the course at the Foggy Bottom campus. You cannot take a course from another institution and transfer the credit into your program.

Q: Can I transfer graduate credits into the program?
A: Yes, you can transfer up to 6 graduate credits that have not been used for another degree. These courses must be applicable to the M.S. degree or the graduate certificate and must be approved by your academic advisor. Once you start a degree program at GW, you cannot take a course from another institution and transfer the credits into your GW degree program.

Q: If my undergraduate degree is not in computer science, am I still eligible for the M.S. degree program?
A: Yes. Students with a variety of undergraduate backgrounds can successfully complete the GW M.S. degree; however, the program does assume you have learned certain computer science topics and skills prior to starting the program.  If you have questions about your specific background, please contact the academic advisor [link to James Hahn’s profile] prior to applying.

Q: If I need to take some additional courses to get prepared for the M.S. degree (that are not part of the 10 course degree), do I have to take them at GW?
A: No. Prerequisite courses required as part of a provisional admission, or taken because you feel a need to gain skills prior to taking a graduate CS course, do not have to be taken at GW, although they are available at our Foggy Bottom campus.

Q: What is the class schedule?
A: In each cohort, one class is taught each semester (Fall, Spring and Summer). In the Fall and Spring, the classes are taught one night per week for 14 weeks. During the Summer, classes are typically taught 2 nights per week for 7 weeks.

Q: What should I do if I don't meet one or more of the requirements for admission?
A: It is possible that the particular requirement can be waived based on other considerations. To discuss your particular case, please contact the academic advisor.

Dr. James Hahn
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 202-994-5920