Mission of the Department
Computers are changing the world profoundly. Although this is a global phenomenon, it is particularly evident in a rapidly growing technology center such as the Washington D.C. metropolitan area. In this context, the Department of Computer Science serves as the focal point for computer science education and research within the George Washington University. The department provides opportunities for an outstanding multidisciplinary Computer Science education at the Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, and Doctoral degree levels, and provides collaborative research opportunities with other departments in the University and with our partners in industry and government.
The B.S. Computer Science program prepares graduates who, in the years following graduation, will:
- acquire an advanced degree in computer science or related disciplines, or a professional degree (law, business, medicine); or
- be gainfully employed in the computer or IT industry with the ability to apply skills and knowledge learned while an undergraduate at GW; and
- conduct themselves professionally and ethically, work effectively in teams, and communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
By the time of graduation, a Computer Science student will have:
- learned to apply principles from the fundamentals of computer science, including discrete structures, data structures, algorithms, and the theory of computing;
- acquired an understanding of the hardware and software architecture of computer systems, including architecture, operating systems, databases, languages, and networks;
- acquired an understanding of the overall social and professional context in which computing activities take place, acquired an understanding of ethical professional conduct, and participated effectively in team projects;
- demonstrated an application of software engineering principles through completion of a challenging capstone project requiring specification, design and implementation;
- conveyed technical knowledge in an effective manner through written and oral communications.