Admission to Computer Science as a Second Major, or a Minor
GW undergraduates outside the Department of Computer Science can apply to a second major or minor in Computer Science. Interested students must apply no later than the start of their 5th semester of study at GW, or completion of 60th credit, which ever comes later. The admission criteria is as follows:
- Must apply no later than the start of their 5th semester of study at GW, or completion of 60th credit, which ever comes later.
- A grade of B or higher in CSCI 1111 or CSCI 1011 or CSCI 1012 or CSCI 1121.
- A grade of B‐ or higher in Math 1231 or Math 1232 or in both Math 1220 and Math 1221.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 at the time of application.
Students seeking admission to CS as a 2nd major or minor should note that CS has a highly structured pre-requisite chain of required courses. Completion of a Computer Science minor will typically take approximately 4 semesters and a second major will take between 5-6 semesters. Additionally it is recommend that student plan their course sequencing starting from Fall to Spring where there is traditionally more space availability in required courses.
Once you have met the admissions requirements, you must complete the following:
- Complete the corresponding CS Minor/2nd Major form and send a formal email with full name, GWID, and mobile number requesting to declare the CS minor or second major to [email protected].
- Include a copy of your unofficial transcript which must include the grades for required coursework and cumulative GPA. If necessary, include unofficial transcripts from other institutions.
- Include a copy of your school's minor/double major declaration form completed. This form will be signed by an advisor and returned via email. Submit this to your major school's advising office for processing.
Once your application to the CS minor/2nd major has been reviewed, you will be notified directly.
Computer Science Application Forms